Sugar Belly

This post is about bellies. Well, one belly in particular: the Sugar Belly. Lately I've spent a lot of time (more than I'd like to admit) thinking about the Sugar Belly. About how it crept up on me. About how when I look down I get confused that it's attached to me. About how when I catch myself in a mirror unexpectedly I think "why is that belly lady walking so close to me?" I think that since I've been in Australia I've been thinking about it more. Maybe because it's getting hotter and hotter by the day and I can't keep the Sugar Belly under layers because I'll just melt. Maybe because in the area I live there are many many many tiny hipsters wearing leggings and sheer crop tops and I know that I'll never look like that. And then I remember that I never want to look like that.

I read a lot of blogs and I love when I see other bloggers wearing a pencil skirt and they have this lovely little belly bulge. I think it's beautiful, womanly and sexy. It makes them look like classic 1950s women and I love how clothes look on these other women. But when I see that same rounded tum on me? It just looks all wrong. Why is it that I can love a feature on someone else but when it's on me I want to hide it away?

I have some loving and forgiveness to work on I think.

I need to remember that this is the body that I have. This is the body that has carried me through my very lucky 30 years. This Sugar Belly rose gently and partially because of falling in love and spending the best times cuddled up, drinking wine and eating cheese. And I wouldn't trade that for the world. My Sugar Belly is strong and the skin is so soft. And maybe this is just the shape that I am right now. And maybe that's ok.

Sal from Already Pretty  shared a link to this project the other day. It's where normal women, just like you and I, sent in photos of their bellies. Big, small, flat, rounded, soft, taut, stretch marked, and baby-full. And you know what? THEY ALL WERE BEAUTIFUL! They all were real. Victoria Secret bellies are real bellies for a very, very few and regimented beautiful people. The rest of us? We're beautiful too. Real is better. Real is always better. Ok?

Comments

Marnie said…
I used to live off Chapel Street and felt like a fat pig every time I walked out the door. Chapel Street is somehow not the real world, so please don't let the hipsters intimidate you.
Maz
Style Journey said…
That's one thing we love about blogging. There are REAL people out there, big, small, tall, short. It's nice to know that we are all real and normal people and not those models in the magazines.
REAL is the best. I agree, Danielle! I just checked out the link, and I am soooooo inspired! I've had a lot of trouble accepting my belly because it's where all my weight tends to go to, but this post has really got me thinking...

♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
geetabix said…
Thanks for posting that link! It really does help to normalize real people's figures, rather than thinking airbrushed people are "beautiful" and you're imperfect.

I like your thinking on the sugar belly as well - thinking it came from enjoying great meals with a loved one rather than from depriving yourself and feeling forced to fit in is a way to appreciate it more. Although ... mine is partly there from stress eating but that's another story!
FutureLint said…
I saw this post too and I loved seeing all the real bellies! I hope it's only a manner of time until airbrushed ads have to state that they've been computer-enhanced. It's so ridiculous! That's why I read fashion blogs, not fashion magazines!
Anonymous said…
Hey there! How's life Down Under? Great post. I've never had a flat belly - even as a child & now after having two kids, I know I'll never have a flat belly. I know I'm not where I need to be, but I also know that I am where I am because of mostly good things that have happened. I have a long way to go towards truly loving my body, but I'm moving in the right direction.
LyddieGal said…
mmm, sometimes I hate my belly, but like you said, it used to be so much sexier before there was photoshop. and everyone has a belly. no matter how many crunches, it will be there.

Popular Posts