Imitation is the highest form of flattery?

I do this thing sometimes. And I don’t mean to and I’m not at all meaning to make fun of someone. It’s just that sometimes when I am speaking with someone who has an accent I unknowingly begin to mimic them. This is only with people who speak English as their first language: Australian, English, Southern... I lived in England but mostly hung out with Australians and suddenly I was talking like them. When I had a True Blood marathon I started talking to myself in Vampire Bill’s accent. I called UPS in Kentucky today and I found myself responding to her questions with a southern drawl. And this isn’t recent either. I remember working in a coffee  shop and serving an English woman. I didn’t realize that I was doing it until she asked me what part of England I was from! I think (I hope) it’s just because I love accents and words so much…  but really must be more careful in future so as not to offend anyone!

Comments

Popular Posts