Moving backwards

Today was my first day back at my old job. Well it's a new position but it's in the same building and I acted as backup before so I sort of already know what I'm doing. Not knowing anything or anyone is the worst part of any new job. No one likes to feel like an idiot.


They were really effecient and actually cancelled my accounts. Which means that I have no computer access today.

I don't think that I realized how much I missed the sounds of foreign voices. I love different languages and accents. I love that I am able to interact with people of all cultures from every corner of the earth. And it's also really nice when some of the clients remember me too!
Sadly no outfit picture today due to a be-salted camera


The thing is that we live in a wide, vast world. But at the same time it is very small. Basically we are all the same. We all want our families to be safe and healthy. We all want to belong somewhere and be understood. And we all are working towards being happy. We may have different experiences but we all smile the same way. I think that it is so very important to promote tolerance and appreciation of other cultures. There is so much that we can learn from each other. About the human capacity to survive, to love, to seek God/Allah/Creator. There's even lots to learn about fashion. The women I work with are all utterly beautiful and all completely different. Most people wear Western clothes but sometimes for special occasions we are able to see their traditional clothes. I love hearing about what people wore in their countries, about what is culturally appropriate and what is traditional wedding outfits.



Most especially, I just love to learn about other culture's foods. And I have this delusion that I can make them. This is what I want to make immediately:

Empanadas from Chile
Curry from Burma
Qabuli pilau from Pakistan
Kibbeh and Tabouleh Salad from Syria
Jap Chae from Korea
Mantu from Afghanistan
Chicken Adobo from Philippines

Today I am thankful to be living in Canada, a mosaic of cultures

Comments

laura said…
What a fantastic post! I agree that no one wants to feel like an idiot at work, especially when starting a new job. Your previous job sounds so interesting! Getting to interact with different people from different cultures! And yeah, most of the time, when I talk about foreign cultures, I usually veer the conversation towards food and recipes!
♥laura
the blog of worldly delights
Gah, I'm going to have to start a new job and feel like an idiot :(

We get visitors from all over the world, but they usually want to talk about us and our customs ('though I guess that's part of working in a cultural museum). But if I get this maybe-job, then I'll just be talking about fish cultures...

P.S. I shall be over promptly for the tabbouleh salad.
FutureLint said…
Your job sounds fun and that photo is adorably ridiculous! You are braver than I, while i love going out to eat for exotic foods, most of the time I am scared to try to make them myself and go to all the necessary foreign markets to try to decipher ingredients in another language!
LyddieGal said…
Glad you are back at work - it must be nice to have a job again, and to skip the hardest part of a new job is a bonus.
Bella said…
Love how you're creating awareness regarding the importance of tolerance toward other cultures in this post, lady! I especially like how you say, "We all want to belong somewhere and be understood." It must be a thing of beauty to see these women in their traditional costumes!
This fun shot of you, (and is that the Gentleman Caller?) is great! :)

Popular Posts