Dinner time

Today I was attacked by a vicious headache and spent most of the day in the dark. Except for the part where I had various bright lights shined directly in my eyes from the eye doctor. Equally awesome.

Basically, the point is that lying in the dark has made me too tired to write a real post. Tough life.

But I did make a delicious dinner last night:


I can assure you that it tasted much better than it looks. 

Asparagus
Place trimmed asparagus on a baking tray. Spray lightly with olive oil. Dust gently with garlic, salt and pepper. Cook until asparagus turns bright and delicious green and is still delightfully crunchy. 

Beets
Place beet (with about 1 inch of it's leaf still attached) on a bit of tinfoil. Drizzle with olive oil, sprinke with garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper. Wrap up like a little bundle and roast in the oven for about an hour until it's tender. Trim and peel the beets, slice and pour the remainder of the goodness from the bundle onto the beets. 

Sole
Place sole fillets in a baking dish. Dust with Italian seasoning and some chopped onions for flavour. Splash with lemon juice. Cook until it looks like something you want to eat.

Tzatiki
Go to your grandfathers and get cucumbers from his garden. Shred the cucumbers using a cheese grater. Place shredded cucumber into some plain yogurt. Add garlic, Italian seasoning, salt, pepper, and lemon juice. Stir and spoon onto the fish. 


And there you have it! A delicious, healthy, and relatively easy dinner that has lots of colour.
Nicely done. 


Today I'm thankful for the drive to actually make myself something nice for dinner rather then just resorting to cheese and crackers. All the time.


PS I also tried to make some sort of non-sugar, non-gluten, non-anything good for dessert. I had the idea that beets were pretty sweet. I blended up beets, mint leaves, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg and mixed it with yogurt topped with almonds. It wasn't good. I mean, the colour was lovely but the texture was much too chunky for my tastes. Also, turns out that beets aren't that sweet.

Comments

Cara said…
Oh dear! Headaches are no good! I had a nice little laugh at your beet & yogurt mistake. I always try to make something which works in theory and not in practice!
Unknown said…
I LOVE asparagus. They are so tasty. Your dinner actually looks pretty good! I'm sorry about your headache! Those days are never fun.
laura said…
sorry to hear about your headache. I definitely know how that feels. -_- But your dindin looks AMAZING! Shmeriously. I love asparagus, no matter how weird my pee smells afterwards (TMI?) and I love anything that comes out from the sea! I've never really eaten beets before, but maybe I'll use your recipe and try it!
♥ laura
the blog of worldly delights
Bella said…
Your headache sounds like the debilitating migraines I get that give me the impression there's a midget in my head playing bongo drums! I hope you're feeling better now! I love sole! Looks like you had a super healthy meal. Good for you! Feel better! :)

Popular Posts